4 October, 2017
Kluai buat chi (dessert)Posted in : Dessert on by : admin
Kluai buat chi is bananas cooked in a mixture of coconut milk and coconut cream. This easy and versatile dessert can be served hot, or at room temperature, or refrigerator cold. Kluai buat chi is well known throughout Thailand and is also popular in neighbouring countries.
Kluai buat chi recipe
- 5 almost ripe bananas
- 1 ½ cup of coconut milk
- ¼ cup of coconut cream
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ tablespoon of salt
- Peel the bananas.
- Halve the bananas vertically. Then slit them horizontally to halve them again.
- Pour coconut milk into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the bananas. Cook over medium until the bananas are tender. It’s important not to overcook them, since this can cause them to bloat and disintegrate.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the sugar. Keep stirring until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the coconut cream.
- Serve hot, or wait until the dish has cooled down to room temperature. Or place in the refrigerator and serve when it has become well chilled.
Nam Wa bananas
In Thailand, Kluai buat chi is usually made using bananas of the Namwah variety. Namwah is the most frequently sold banana in the country, and the plant is available in both tall and dwarf versions. Namwah plants are highly resistant to common banana diseases.
Namwah plants develop green trunks with pink streaks, and tend to produce massive banana bunches with well over 150 bananas per bunch. The taste is a bit similar to that of the apple-banana, but it’s easy to distinguish between the two. Namwah bananas are more hearty and the texture more chewy.