5 June, 2016
Khao Neeo Mamuang (snack / dessert)
Posted in : Dessert on by : admin
Ingredients (for 8 servings)
- 3 cups of sticky rice, soaked overnight in coconut milk and then drained
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- ¾ cups of palm sugar (if you can’t find this, use brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 4 ripe mangoes
- Steam the sticky rice until it is tender. It’s important that the rice doesn’t touch the water; it should be steamed, not cooked in water. Keep steaming until the rice is shiny.
- While you are steaming the rice, prepare the coconut milk by pouring into a heavy pot and heating it over medium heat. It should just be heated, not boiled. Add palm sugar and salt to the coconut milk and stir to make it dissolve.
- Place the steamed rice in a bowl. Pour 1 cup of coconut milk over the rice; set the rest of the coconut milk aside for later.
- Stir the rice gently to mix the coconut milk with the rice. Set aside for at least 20 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Cut the mangoes in half and remove the pits. Cut the mangoes into slices.
- Make a little mound of rice on each dessert plate. Place mango slices next to each mound. Pour over coconut milk.
Sprigs of mint or basil are often used to decorate khao neeo mamuang before it’s served.